The Horse That Hates Schooling...

Tuesday 15 August 2017

As a follow up from my previous post the magic halter where I talked about Legacy's manners and her stubbornness. I'm happy to say she is now a dream on the ground, she'll happily walk into her stable even if I stop and then ask her to come in. I've even tried this is a general nylon headcollar with no pressure points and she's a different horse.

Due to the training of this she's had pretty much 2 months off work, just being in the field getting fat and coming in for grooms when Cloudy comes in. We're still not 100% on being on our own in the stable, but again we're making progress with that. 

The other day I decided that enough time off was enough, it's the summer and I wanted to ride while I still could, soon as they come in at night time the amount of riding I can get done is down to my 2 days off and I have to hope the weather is on my side or nothing gets done. 

So I took her down to the arena for a little 15-20 minute school. The first 5 minutes of starting to work she's fine and this is the same every time, there might be the odd time where she's happy to work longer than 5 minutes but it's never any less that this.
After the time she's happy working, it all stops. She's very rarely does anything bad it's mostly she just stops and decides to plant herself there, whenever I try something to get her working it usually results in her throwing her head up as if she's saying no!
I have tried many different ways to get her back working. 

I've tried:
Squeezing her 
Kicking her (although I can't give her a good kick cause she tried to kick my food then)
Using a whip (which she also tries to kick)
Using a whip whop (which doesn't work cause it's too soft)
Circling her one way then trying to walk her forward the other way 
& Using my reins on her like I would the whip whop, this works but only for a step or 2 then we're at it again.

I've tried doing transitions with her in my warm up to get her 'into' working, but that just results in a small fight getting her to move on after asking her to walk. I can get a nice trot out of her after she's warmed up and at times I'll get a little explosion of wanting to canter when I ask for trot, these days I can get her working nice when she's worked through the 'explosions'. I've had to stop cantering her due to her not being balanced in it just yet as I'm trying to get her more balanced and working well in the other paces first but I'm not getting anywhere. 

I just find it so frustrating as all I want to go is get on her and be able to school her and learn new things together, like movements and jumping. 

The head position in the picture blow is how she holds her head when she's first in trot before she relaxes.

She often gets her back check, she has her teeth done yearly and she's recently had a new saddle, I've even tried changing her bit. So I've ruled out all of the physical aspects of any pain or problems. 


If there is anything anyone would suggest I could try to try and work through this please let me know.
 I can't school her out on the road hacking as she is the same on the road, when she doesn't want to move on she won't and this can result in her being in the middle of the road having a moment. So not only does she hate schooling, there's no hacking at the moment either.



2 comments:

  1. Tough situation. Glad you had her checked for problems. If there are no other reasons it is probably behavioral. Have you gone back to lunging her and doing groundwork? With so long off she may need a refresher and work back up to a higher fitness level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with Heather, do lots of ground work and lunging, sounds like she is not 'respecting' you and what you'd like to and instead is doing what she wants! Lunge work really helped me out in regard to establishing a good relationship between me and my horse. Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS
Skimlinks Test